I. Physical Makeup of Healthy Soil
- Mineral Matter which comprise approximately 50% of the physical area for a healthy garden soil, minerals typically consist of small pieces of earthen rock that has been broken down over time by natural forces such as wind and rain;
- Organic Matter which comprises approximately 10% of the physical area for a healthy garden soil, organics typically consist of decomposed remains of soil organisms and plant life including lichens and mosses, grasses and leaves, trees, and all other kinds of vegetative matter;
- Air which should comprise approximately 25% of the physical area for a healthy garden soil Plant roots, insects, microbes, earthworms and other soil life require this much air to live. The air in soil is also an important source of the atmospheric nitrogen that is utilized by plants;
- Water which should comprise approximately 15% of the physical area for a healthy garden soil.
- Sands; with subcategories of sand, loamy sand and clayey sand;
- Clays; with subcategories of sandy clay, light clay, medium clay and heavy clay;
- Loams; with subcategories of sandy loam, fine sandy loam, loam, silty loam, sandy clay loam and clay loam.
Next Week Part II: Nutrients of Healthy Soil